Sunset at Finisterre

Sunset at Finisterre

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Footsteps in the Dark

It is 6:20 am and we head off - 2 Danish women and me, one flashlight and one head lamp - into the woods and the dark of the early morning. We walk for at least one hour in pitch dark and I think to myself - who would have ever anticipated this adventure. However here we are and it is just a head start to the day to avoid the heat of the noon day sun and to get a bit ahead of the pack in the bathrooms. With only 26 people in the room last night, I slept much better and actually feel rested today. I plugged along as a better trooper today, after feeling like I was dragging all of yesterday.

It was a long way to the first cup of coffee however, at least 10 kms. We thought there would be a place for cafe con leche and some chocolate croissants at about the 5km mark - but not so as it is Sunday in a very catholic country.

When we did arrive at a beautiful little Spanish town, the cafe con leche and the tortilla - an egg like pie with lots of salad and ham in the mix was delicious. Sonce we had put in such a good walk already, it was only another hour to Pamplona and here I am showered and clothes washed and ready for a nap and it is only 2 pm.

I walked about 7 hours today and have covered close to 75 kms now. We passed a sign to Santiago early this morning that said a mere 751 kms to go - will ignore those ones for awhile. I am impressed with my fitness though, I have few aches and pains and only my feet get sore which may just be the constant pounding for hours at a time. I have taken the good advice of friends back home and stopped to sink my feet into a stream for awhile this am and it made a real difference.

I found myself singing along this morning and it made me happy. It was an interesting way to express what was rolling around in my head and as I went along, I made up the tunes from a combination of hymns and different melodies that I liked. I sang about thoughts and hopes and questions and actually got the junk of worry out of my head which was a good thing.

The country side is so beautiful and the sounds of church bells everywhere are something. The cows continue to signal their presence with the bells around their neck. Music is everywhere in the natural sounds and in the music that people make themselves by whistling and singing. When we arrived in the square for cafe this morning, a few of the French Canadians were singing acapala - the Sounds of Silence - From Simon and Garfunkle, with the church bells for morning mass ringing in the background. I tell you there is something about letting go of everything and just being with the moment and the beauty of the simplicity of it all.

I am in a refugio in Pamplona at the moment, wonderful place - cold showers and a very rule oriented hostess at the door. Only 5 euros though for all this cleanliness. There is a mass for the pilgrims in the cathedral tonight which I will rush over to as it makes a difference to feel that you have the blessings of the "almighty" travelling along with you.

Tomorrow is a harder day as there is a tough climb so I will rest well tonight and eat a good dinner and pack more food to take along. Am trying to figure out what to unload from my pack as the darn thing is just too heavy to carry as it is (and that is less than 10kg) Am giving away stuff like mad to lighten things up. I think the post office is a very busy place here.

More later - and don´t worry Wilf, I enjoy sharing my journey like this. It gives me pleasure to know that people are reading this, across the world actually, and that my lowly pilgrimage is something that I can share with others.

Until then

Bueno Camino.......... Maggee

1 comment:

Jessie & Jack said...

Hello maggie, I am now 60 too and very inspired by your adventure. What an amazing voyage life is!!
love, Jessie