Sunset at Finisterre

Sunset at Finisterre

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Day One St Jean Pied de Port

After a pretty straight forward journey,although somewhat long and tiring, I am here at the start of a trip that I have been building up to for more than a year. Everything has worked out just fine so far. In spite of a hectic rush on the Paris metro to catch the train south, which I made within 2 minutes of departure, the travel was uneventful. The train ride through France was beautiful and the country side very pretty. The second train through the mouuntains and into St Jean Pied de Port was very beautiful and this little town is very historic and quaint. I only wish I could speak better French as people here do not speak much english.

I was surprised at the number of pilgrims that are everwhere. Once we got on to the second train, I felt like I had joined cult as there was a full load of back packing people, all heading for the start of this camino. People are very friendly and I spend the whole trip through the mountains talking to a nurse from Denmark.

I will start tomorrow and even though the pilgrim's office recommends staying at a place 8 kms up the mountain, I will plan to go all the way to Roncesvalles which is 25 kms across to Spain. I walked up the first few kms this morning and it seems much less intimidating than the rocky mountain hikes I did in July.

My thoughts are that this is a stunning place, the air smells wonderful and it is quiet and very peaceful, a very rural environment with loads of history and fabulous architecture. It is true that the walk itself is meant to be a journey and the challenge for me will be to be able to let go of my targets, stop worrying about the deadlines and just follow the path to experience the process along the way.

All for now..............Maggee

3 comments:

Sil said...

Buen Camino Maggee!!
So pleaqsed to have found your blog which I will post onto a camino forum for others to follow live. Have a safe walk to Roncesvalles. Take it s-l-o-w the first few days.
Blessings.
Sil

Unknown said...

Hello Margret,
good for you that you have had a safe trip to France!
Please be carefull with your energy in the Pyrenees!
I cycled just 25 km during my challenge through the Pyrenees, because it was too heavy.

Good luck and enjoy the quietness!

Best regards,
Esther

you are in my mind

Unknown said...

Hi Maggee,
I have enjoyed reading your post so far and look forward to reading further post.
I walked the Camino from SJPDP last year and am hoping to do it again next year.

Good luck and remember its only one step at a time so it isn't that hard (Laugh) I forgot to mention its over a million steps ....
Take Care and keep us posted

Pablo
(In Sydney Australia)