Sunset at Finisterre

Sunset at Finisterre

Thursday, August 7, 2008

And she waits!

What is it that makes me take on such tremendous and daunting challenges - who knows - but what would I have been without them. Here I am now close to 2 weeks from departing on this major adventure. On my own, travelling about as far away as I can imagine, to be mobile, on foot and unreachable - pretty much. Maybe just what I need - or people around me need maybe! - who knows! Time will tell!
My feet hurt already and my new boots sit here waiting to be broken in - how can feet change size just like that. Here I was thinking that I had it made, with my comfy boots, hiking my merry little walks. Little did I know that lengthening my hikes would lead me to such grief and pathetic hobbling after only one 23 km hike. So now I am on the serious quest for comfy footwear and pain free footsteps.
Have calculated that I have completed about, maybe 50kms per week, over the last few months and so the build up takes shape, preparing for the great Camino de Santiago, which will require at least 25 kms per day for about 30 - 32 days - yikes!
Did you know that the actual bones of one of the 12 apostles lies in a burial place in a cathedral in Santiago, Spain and that for thousands of years pilgrims have walked all across Europe to arrive at this sacred place. And in 2008, I will be one of them - who would have thought eh - not my Mom or my kids that's for sure!
Practice packing, creative shopping for ultra light weght clothing, narrowing my choices to one change for everything (and lots of soap), has not been easy let me tell you! I am however, more cognizant of the outcome of the last few years of pity shopping during Chris's (late husband) illness and death. I could clothe an army here and am determined to focus energy on less worldy endeavours = hence this pilgrimage. Actually it is a way to find myself once again and to find peace and joy from this altered life plan.
So the plan is to travel to Paris on August 26, find the train station (with my limited vocabulary) and after 2 trains and about 6 hours arrive in the foot of the French Pyrenees ready to start an 800 km pilrgimage to Santiago de Compostela. I will be walking in the fooststeps of literally thousands that have gone before and hopefully less travelling at the same time as me this year! Accommodation is provided in hostel like places along the way and of course communities of like minded travellers form as the journey unfolds. An entirely new experience for this 'traveller' and hence part of the personal challenge - can I really do this? Only took about a year to build up the courage to actually book the flight. But here goes - what have I got to lose anyway.

'One can access the heart and the mind through the feet' - (even if they hurt - hopefully??)

That's it for now! - Maggee! (my new handle which only my dear old Dad ever called me when I was little - seems appropriate to redesign myself a little for this new adventure, don't you think?)







No comments: