Sunset at Finisterre

Sunset at Finisterre

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Into the Mountains

We have had a wonderful two days and I am feeling much stronger now that we have left the ill people behind us. I am sitting in a bar in the evening and the Spanish foot ball game is blaring above me with smoke from the patrons coloring the air. And to boot it is dark on the keyboard so forgive the spelling mistakes.
I have loved the past two days, particularly because I have discovered Spanish ibuprofen which is 3 times stronger than ours and cheap as dirt. It has made quite a difference to my feet if I take one in the morning before we leave.
We have walked in the moonlight each morning and yesterday for about 2 hours on a straignt road lit by the full moon. You forget the sound of silence in normal life and this was a specatular experience of just walking. I was trying to remember the word to the Psalm 23 which I memorized in Sunday School years ago. Do not ask me why this came to mind then, however for the past two days, I have been singing Crimond and the words to the psalm as I remember them and it is very calming and meditative.
We are in Rabinal del Camino this evening and in the mountains. We had a wonderful walk yesterday and a great evening in Astorga yesterday. Now we walked steadily up hill all day to get here and are once again in a room for 4 which is so great,
We are in the mountains and I love the walking up the hills, who would have thought eh, I am feeling fine, fit and healthty and very happy.
We realized that we are now 10 days from Santiago and so can actually see the end of the journey. We have walked 540 kms so less than 240 to go and it is possible to actually see the end to this trip now.
We are in the most beautiful part of the Camino and will pass by the large iron cross where we will leave all of our trinkets and stones from Canada tomorrow. We will be up early as there are more people travelling now and we really like the solutide in the early morning and the darkness.
I will write more tomorrow but just have to conclude with this as the smoke and the noise are a bit much.
This evening we attended a prayer service in the little church here and the whole thing was sung as Gregorian chants which was beautiful. I am touched by the great evidence of people´s commitment to something greater than themselves now and really ejoy the deep conversations we are begining to have.
Love from the Camino

Maggee

1 comment:

sagalouts said...

hi maggee
enjoying your blog,thanks for sharing it with us
rosie and ian ( england)