Sunset at Finisterre

Sunset at Finisterre

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sept 22 Navia to Tapia de Casariego (20kms)

We had a wonderful picnic supper at the hostel last night and slept well in our nice rooms and were up early for a good breakfast provided by the host. this was a good start to the day. I am feeling sick again which really annoys me and I am not happy that this will slow me down. I know that it is from the long trek of 3okms from a few days ago as I find the long days of hill climbing to be quite a challenge. Still we walk through lovely countryside again and meet such friendly people who are so helpful to us at every turn. You know they will even go way out of the own way to lead us to exaclty where they are trying to direct us because we do not have the language to make sure we are clear about what they are saying. This happens time after time in each town.
the weather is great once again and we have some very special breaks in wonderful spots along the way. It is not such a long walk, but with the hot sun and the ashphalt roads that are part of the way today, it seems long. When we arrive at the alberque for Tapia, we find it along the clilff side of the ocean in a beautiful spot, but again it is crowded and not so clean. I take one look at this and know that there is no way I can sleep there feeling as ill as I do. So the others choose their beds and I head off into town to look for an alternative.
This is a new experience for me, searching my way through an unkown place and wondering what to do as I know that I need to slow down the pace and the rythm that I have been walking. Eventually I stop feeling sorry for myself and realze that this is an adventure and an opportunity to learn something about myself and my life. So as I turn a few corners, I find a nice little hotel with a cheap and clean room and am quickly settled into a place to sleep and rest.
This turns out to be the best decision for me as I can sleep much better and then catch a bus for the 13kmo Ribadeo which is the next planned stop for the group. Eventually I connect with them again and we make a plan to meet the following day and then decide what to do. I need to stop for a few nights and slow down to feel better. Sonja wants to head on a bus to the French route and Jette will also do the same. So we find ourselves at a cross roads as a group and will make a decision about how we will disburse from here
This is how it goes I think. You travel together as it works our and we have been a group of 3 for 4 weeks and a group of 4 for 3 weeks and a group of 5 for 2 weeks. this is pretty extraordinary as we spend so much time together and have so many decisions to make each day regarding simple things like directions, food, accomodation, timing etc. Well, another learning experience along the Camino is in the works I expect for me and the others. We need to be prepared for the unexpected always when you travel like this and then take the challenges as opportunities to learn something about yourself and your life. In the end, I must decide how to do this based on what will work for me and how to accomplish what I set out to do, which was to reach Santiago, with joy and satisfaction and accomplishment as well as hope for the future.
I have walked 560kms now and have about 175 or so to get to the church in Santiago. This I really want to do.
Maggee

No comments: