Sunset at Finisterre

Sunset at Finisterre

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Probena to Castro-Urdiales (2okms) September 4, 2010

We are back at the sea after a few days of walking through the mountains and the pine forests. We start the day with a long climb up a few hundred steps and then a very long walk around the headland and above the sea. There are a few sail boats in the distance so it is very peaceful.
Below are the sufers already out to catch the morning waves and the sun is rising over the mountains in the distance, so the sky is a bright pink. This is a beautiful walk as we have about 5 kms along the flat walkway that follows the shore all the way around the headland. You can look out to the distance and see forever and the wind is calm so the air is fresh and the weather warm and the sounds from the waves crashing below is heavenly. It is a pretty easy walk today, shorter than normal and not so hilly. However, there are some tough hills still and even though we take a shorter route along the coastal road, we still climb.
At one point, we are advised by two old women to take a route to the left. When we get to the junction, we see the arrows going right and so being addicted to the yellow arrows, we ignore their advice and go right - bad move. We end up at a position of having to climb many many stairs to the top of the cliff and then scramble up a steep incline with our heavy packs on. At the top, we decide to always listen to the old women!
We are again in a wonderful small alberque in such a beautiful beach town. So many beautiful resort type towns along this coast. Because the weather is so warm still, the beaches are loaded with people. I cannot get over the way in which they all seem to love to lie in the sun and will crowd onto small stretches of beach, or stones or sand just to lie there and read or sunbathe. And the children do not wear hats as we are addicted to in our country!
The people are dressed beautifully and the children especially are dressed in adorabel clothing. It is a really impressive family oriented culture here.
Feet are still great and I am realy loving the way we are walking now. The hills don´t bother me at all and I experience such a strong feeling of wellness to be able to walk like this.
I have been thinking that I would like to top 1000 kms this trip. We are at 170kms now and the days are passing quickly. I have calculated that I spend on average E20 per day and this includes even the expensive days when we had to stay in pensionnes. I figure that it is cheaper to travel like this than it is to live my regular life and can see why the young people choose to do this for months at a time. Don´t worry Mom, I will come home as planned!
Anyway, so far so good and I will see how it goes from here.

Walk slowly, don´t rush. Each step brings you to the best moment of your life, the present moment.

Maggee

1 comment:

Barb said...

You ladies are just walking machines! What distance you have travelled. I love your tales of the Camino Angels. It seems the Camino is providing in a big way - maybe even more this time since the need is higher with a route which is not as clearly marked.
I read your last few blog entries to Erica and we both agreed we might have "ditched" Angel #2 and been much the poorer for the decision. You will return with such a reviatalized faith in your fellow man&woman.

It's wonderful to hear your joy in this walk. As is usual with my life I wish I could be in 2 places at the same time - one here with my dear family and another one with my dear Camino sisters. I guess you'll just have to redo this one with Linda and me. Sound right???

It's getting quite cool for the time being - maybe the edge of Hurricane Earl who is ripping up the East Coast. Duvets and comforters felt good last night after many days of heat & humidity. Sept can be such abeautiful month!

Erica & I went to see the movie "Eat,Pray Love". I think the main character, Liz, should have tried the Camino or long hikes instead, even though Bali looked very beautiful! You have done the "Eat" and "Pray/Meditate" parts, Maggee. Now you just have to fulfill the "love" component and you'll be all set for a best seller!

Hugs to all the sisters, Barb