Sunset at Finisterre

Sunset at Finisterre

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

And Now What?

That is the question that I started this quest with and the one that I have posed to my friends who have also completed this journey, over the past few days. I know that many pilgrims continue to return to the Camino to re capture the feeling of 'escape' from reality, of being closer to a profound sense of the energy of the universe and to be part of a community of human relatedness that transcends anything we have experienced in our ordinary lives.
I have returned to work and my normal life. I drive my car along roads that I have driven for years and today I noticed myself observing the rocky path along the side and wondering what it would be like to walk this way. I can walk normally now, my limp is gone as my ankle and feet are recovering from the effort of the 800 kms that seems like a memory and not such a great feat now as it was so soon over.
I look at my life and try to put into context the experience that I had in Spain within the reality of the life I live and it is a challenge to bring that great sense of peace into the daily rituals of the way we have created our hectic lives together. I have answered the question 'now what' for myself, I know in my heart that I have. I just wonder if I have the guts to pull it off, as I once again find myself in the quandry of questioning my capability for designing a truly creative and adventurous life. Perhaps that is all there is to it really - keep on leaping into the unknown and continue to believe in what I am searching for.
What is it they say over and over again - it is already there right in front of you -just take the time and the answer is there waiting to be noticed.
I feel like I am on the brink of something and am so thankful for having pole vaulted myself into the unknown to actually start this journey on the Camino. I find myself out in the early morning darkness with a flashlight these days as I am compelled still to walk and that this time of a new day awakening will provide me with what I am looking for.
If there is any advice that I can provide it is only this - to grab life with all your might as we have only one chance to live it powerfully and with no regrets.
Maggee

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Maggee - I have been reading your entries feverishly and then sitting in awe (you write so beautifully)considering the depth of your discoveries. I am so excited to pick up the next 'leg' of the journey with you. Thank you for your advice and the inspiration you provide. You make me want to dare more...
Penny

Kiwi Nomad said...

maggee...thanks for your comments on my blog that have led me to yours. I know I will be back soon to explore more of your adventure.
I have been home since mid-July but I am still grappling with the "and now what?". When you have walked in a rhythm for 100s of kms, some of the modern expectations in the workplace seem like such pointless things.... However, I guess I will eventually find my way forward, as I hope you will also.
Margaret

TLFD said...

Thank you very much for this blog Maggee. I'm undertaking the El Camino next Spring (May/June), and found your posts incredibly helpful. Guidebooks are a good thing, but they don't really convey what it's like, day to day, out on the road. I also lost my husband not long ago, part of the soul searching leading to this trip... so again, thank you so very much.

herbert said...

Hello Maggee
I've read your posts, the question you put : what now ?? has allso come into my mind , but it happened allready near the end of my Camino Frances . So possessed by the "Camino"bug I will ride my bike on the Via de La Plata next yr and maybe return to France via the Camino del Norte .
Regards Bert41